So, which Mercedes Models have 360 degree cameras ?
Mercedes introduced the 360° camera a few years ago, and since then, a 360° camera has been available for every Mercedes model, commercial or non-commercial.
In different markets, the 360° parking camera is included as part of the Parking Package or the Vision Package.
A 360° camera is a useful piece of technology that improves safety and makes parking and manoeuvring in tight spaces as simple as possible.
Almost all newer cars come with optional 360° cameras, and some governments even require reversing cameras to be standard equipment on all newer vehicles.
A Mercedes 360° camera is made up of four or more cameras, one on the front bumper, two on the mirrors, and one on the rear bumper.
These cameras are intended to provide visual assistance in parking situations, as well as in other scenarios such as off-roading or as dash cams in crash situations. These cameras also have additional features, such as night vision, which allows you to see pedestrians or animals in low-light situations, as well as potential hazards on the road ahead.
These cameras can also read traffic signs and display speed limits and other useful information on your dashboard.
These cameras also include advanced parking sensors that work in tandem with the camera to precisely determine the position of the car in seconds. Mercedes models also provide live directions of travel when reversing, allowing you to park precisely between the lines.
Camera modes that rotate 360 degrees
As previously stated, this system consists of at least four cameras that cover the entire surrounding area of the car at all times. Depending on the situation, modern Mercedes models offer a variety of camera modes and angles.
The first mode is the standard reversing camera.
This camera is usually located above the licence plate, and some Mercedes models, such as the E-class sedan, use a pop-up camera, which is a good idea because a rear-view camera tends to accumulate a lot of dirt and grime, rendering it unusable in some vehicles.
In most cases, the mirror housings house two cameras that cover the sides of the vehicle. These cameras also have additional functionalities and modes, such as junction modes and visual parking assistance modes, which help you avoid curbing your wheels when parking. These cameras are also useful for off-roading.
The AI 360° mode, which uses all of the cameras at once and provides you with an outside view of the car that looks incredibly futuristic because these systems are the pinnacle of automotive visual assistance technologies, is probably the coolest of them all.
Mercedes-Benz Parking Package equipped with a 360-degree camera
If you want the full functionality of the Mercedes 360° camera, you must opt for Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC, which includes the most advanced Mercedes visual assistance features currently available.
This system utilises 12 ultrasound parking sensors, four in the front and rear, and two on each side.
This system immediately displays a crisp and clear representation of the current parking situation on your infotainment screen once you begin using the cameras.
The system is capable of actively searching for available parking spaces in the cars around you and recommending a location for you to park.
The most advanced versions of these systems, which are standard on the new S-class, are even capable of driving the car autonomously in a variety of situations.
Additionally, this system includes additional multi-purpose cameras on the vehicle, and when combined with Intelligent Drive and 4-wheel steer, this system is capable of parking the vehicle even when the driver is not present.
Mercedes Parking Package with a 360-degree camera is available.
If you want to take advantage of the full Mercedes 360° camera functionality, you must choose the Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC, which provides the best Mercedes visual assistance features currently available on the market. Each of the 12 ultrasound parking sensors, four on the front and back and two on each side, make up this system.
Using the cameras, you will be able to see a crisp and clear representation of your specific parking situation on your infotainment screen in real time the moment you begin using the system.
The system is capable of actively searching for available parking spaces in the cars in your immediate vicinity and recommending a parking location to you.
The most advanced versions of these systems, such as those found in the new S-class, are even capable of driving the vehicle autonomously in a variety of situations.
This system also includes additional multi-purpose cameras mounted on the vehicle, and when used in conjunction with the Intelligent Drive and 4-wheel steer options, this system is capable of parking the vehicle even when the driver is not present.
The Mercedes 360° camera system is extremely advanced, and it is used in many of the vehicle’s safety and luxury features as well as other aspects of the vehicle.
And those advantages are not available with aftermarket 360° cameras, and aside from the cost, there is no other reason why an aftermarket system would ever be superior to the original system in terms of performance.
Is the Mercedes 360° camera system dependable, and are there any limitations to its capabilities?
The modern-day system installed in newer Mercedes models has undergone extensive testing before being introduced to the market, and Mercedes is confident that the new system will be as reliable as any other mandatory system in the vehicle when in use.
These systems are becoming increasingly common, and in the future, a 360-degree camera, similar to the reversing camera, may become a standard feature.
A number of different scenarios, such as when the doors or the tailgate are opened, will prevent this system from functioning properly. It will also not respond if your mirrors are folded in or if the weather conditions are extremely poor outside your home. In addition, if the system is damaged or extremely dirty, it will not function.
You should never rely solely on automobile safety features, because the car manufacturer will never accept responsibility if the system fails to detect any potential hazards on the road. These systems are not intended to replace your eyes; rather, they are intended to assist you.
Parking package with 360° camera.
Park in a more relaxed, less stressful manner. The combination of PARKTRONIC Parking Assist and the 360° camera supports you even when looking for a parking space, as well as when entering and leaving a parking space and manoeuvring.
The all-round view thanks to the 360° camera including a virtual bird’s-eye view is particularly impressive.
- PARKTRONIC Parking Assist with display of detected parking spaces in the instrument cluster plus visual and audible warning of detected obstacles.
- Provides assistance by accelerating, braking and steering plus changing gear in conj. with automatic transmission when reversing into and out of parallel and end-on parking spaces; end-on spaces can also be driven into forwards.
- 360° camera with 4 networked short-range cameras in the radiator grille, next to the release handle in the tailgate plus in the exterior mirror housings for displaying all four vehicle sides and visualising the vehicle and surroundings from a bird’s-eye view in the media display
- Display of obstacles located outside the direct field of view of the driver, for example kerbs
- Different views selectable for best possible visibility during various parking and manoeuvring moves.
- Overlay of PARKTRONIC information corresponding to distance and position of detected obstacles in the colours green, yellow and red along the external contour of the displayed vehicle
- If crossing traffic is detected when reversing out of a parking space, Rear Cross Traffic Alert can emit a visual and audible warning and, if necessary, initiate emergency braking automatically (only in conjunction with Active Blind Spot Assist/Blind Spot Assist).
- Drive Away Assist can briefly reduce the moving off speed if an obstacle is detected within a distance of less than approx. 1 m when changing gear when the vehicle is stationary (only in conjunction with automatic transmission).
- Ultrasound sensors: positioned in the front and rear bumpers
- Button with status LED for PARKTRONIC Parking Assist ; PARKTRONIC Parking Assist is only available when PARKTRONIC Parking Assist is switched on(Source)