Venice to Lake Garda Day Trip
Lake Garda is Italy’s largest and most captivating lake, and a day journey from Venice to get there will be an experience you’ll never forget. Explore the gorgeous towns of Sirmione, Desenzano del Garda, and Sal, each of which has its own allure and collection of points of interest, by taking a train or driving a car.
Taste some of Italy’s most famous dishes while you explore some of the country’s most important historical locations, such as Scaliger Castle and Grotte di Catullo.
🎐👉🏻 This post forms part of my comprehensive Travel guide to Venice and covers many aspects of Planning a trip to Venice, such as Venice hotels, Transportation, Venice tours & Activities, or Venice Attractions. Together, these posts offer a wealth of information and insights for anyone planning a trip to the City of Canals- Venice, Italy.
Discover the natural splendor of Lake Garda by going on a thrilling watersports excursion or going on a relaxing boat cruise along its shores.
Your day trip from Venice to Lake Garda will be an exciting experience if you use our comprehensive itinerary since it will include breathtaking vistas, a rich history, and moments that you will never forget.
How to Get to Lake Garda from Venice
There are two easy and convenient routes that travelers can take to get from Venice to Lake Garda when they are on vacation.
The most popular choice is taking a train from Venice Santa Lucia Station to Desenzano del Garda-Sirmione or Peschiera del Garda stations. You will get to the lake in a very short amount of time considering the travel time of around 1.5 to 2 hours.
You might also choose to hire a car and take the scenic road to your destination, which would take about two hours and allow you to take in the sights of the Italian countryside.
Before traveling to Europe make sure you have made the following arrangements..
- ✈️ Find out how to find & Compare cheap flights or find deals now
- 🌐 Book your accommodation through Booking.com
- 🌐 Be insured before your trip and Get travel insurance! I have complete faith in InsuBuy Travel Insurance and I have nothing but positive things to say about them.
- Car Rentals – Use Discovery Cars – Click Link Here
- 🔰 Read destination reviews and other travellers tips on TripAdvisor
- 💠 Find awesome and hassle-free tours through GetYourGuide
- 🚕 If you are not keen to drive in Europe, you can use the OMIO.com website to purchase train tickets between the city and for day trips The OMIO website also allows you to book train tickets between the cities and other destinations. It is quite simple, and it is in the English language.
- 📍Explore the surrounding areas on an epic road trip with Auto Europe
Visit my Travel Gear and Resources Page to see what I think are the best travel tools and services that can help you plan your trip. I hope you find this information useful.
Both of these choices provide a convenient and time-saving method to take in the breathtaking scenery of Lake Garda, making for a day excursion from Venice that will live long in the memory.
By train: The most convenient way to reach Lake Garda from Venice is by train. Board a train from Venice Santa Lucia Station to Desenzano del Garda-Sirmione or Peschiera del Garda stations. The journey takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours.
OMIO (formerly known as GoEuro) is a travel booking platform that allows users to search and compare various transportation options such as trains, buses, and flights across Europe.
The platform aims to simplify the process of booking transportation by providing users with an easy-to-use interface, comprehensive search results, and seamless booking experience
By car: Rent a car and enjoy a scenic drive to Lake Garda, which takes about 2 hours.
Top Towns to Visit on Your Lake Garda Day Trip
Sirmione: A picturesque town known for its medieval castle, Roman ruins, and thermal baths. Stroll through the historic streets and enjoy stunning lake views.
Desenzano del Garda: A lively town with a bustling harbor, waterfront promenade, and vibrant nightlife. Explore the Roman villa, local shops, and dine in delightful restaurants.
Salò: A charming town with a rich history and elegant architecture.
Visit the 15th-century Duomo and enjoy a leisurely walk along the lakeside promenade.
Must-See Attractions Around Lake Garda
- Scaliger Castle: A 13th-century fortress in Sirmione with panoramic views of Lake Garda.
- Grotte di Catullo: Explore the ancient Roman villa ruins in Sirmione, set amidst olive groves and offering stunning vistas.
- Vittoriale degli Italiani: Discover the eclectic residence of poet Gabriele D’Annunzio in Gardone Riviera, featuring a museum, gardens, and an amphitheater.
Boat Tours and Activities on Lake Garda
- Public ferries: Hop on a ferry and explore multiple towns around the lake at your own pace.
- Guided boat tours: Join a guided boat tour to learn about Lake Garda’s history, culture, and attractions.
- Watersports: Engage in thrilling water activities like sailing, windsurfing, or kayaking.
Tips for a Successful Venice to Lake Garda Day Trip
- Plan ahead: Research the towns and attractions you’d like to visit and create a rough itinerary to maximize your time.
- Check train and ferry schedules: Ensure you are aware of the train and ferry timetables to avoid missing connections.
- Dress comfortably: Wear comfortable shoes and clothing suitable for walking and exploring the towns.
- Stay hydrated: Carry a refillable water bottle to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Be flexible: Be prepared to adjust your plans if needed, as unexpected events or changes in weather may occur.
In conclusion, a day trip from Venice to Lake Garda provides visitors with an experience that is both unforgettable and entrancing.
This excursion is ideal for tourists who are interested in discovering the alluring landscapes and rich history of Italy.
Lake Garda is a perfect location for making memories that will last a lifetime because of its attractive villages, rich historical monuments, and abundance of activities that cater to a wide variety of interests. Whether you decide to travel by rail or by car, make it a point to take in all the allure and splendor that this magnificent lake has to offer.
You will be well-prepared to start on an exciting adventure from Venice to Lake Garda with the help of our detailed guide. This journey will leave you inspired and in awe of Italy’s enduring attraction as you travel from Venice to Lake Garda.
About the Author:
Div Acharya is a blogger, influencer, and co-founder of PepLifestyle and Artmellows. Div loves being a lifestyle blogger.
Div is the founder and blogging growth strategist/coach at DigitallyDiv Agency.
She is highly motivated to help women set up their own digital empires and blogs that let them turn their hobbies into profitable businesses.