What skills do you need for Blogging – 7 super Blogging skills to create a lucrative Blogging Business
Affiliate Disclaimer: When possible, this site uses affiliate links (at no additional cost to you). Read the Disclosure here
Blogging is no longer only a hobby for thousands of people across the world (including myself), but a chance for them to earn a career and design their own lives.
Beginner bloggers should master these SIX skills right from the start:
Maintaining an interest in the subject matter will ensure that the information they provide is constantly relevant.
Have the capacity to write/create material that attracts readers and keeps them coming back for more.
Be able to infuse their writing with personality so that the reader can connect with the information and, if the subject matter allows it, empathise with it.
SEO basics, such as keywords and how Google ranks, so that they can generate content that means their blog can rank in Google and more people are likely to come.
Even for a New blogger, it’s easy to ignore crucial abilities that can help your site expand and eventually allow you to start earning money from it as well
There seem to be an infinite number of things to learn, so how do you even begin?
There were a lot of unknowns about blogging Four years ago when I started it.
To get my name out there faster and improve my traffic, I’ve learned what I should have been doing more of and what I should have been learning more of.
If you’ve been blogging for a long time and haven’t taken the time to learn these skills, this piece is for you.
It’s for those who want to manage their blog as a business and want to do things correctly from the beginning.
If you want to see constant growth, gain popularity, and turn your blog into a money-making machine, don’t disregard these talents/skills.
It’s important to acknowledge what skills you already have—and don’t have.
If you already have experience running a business, that can be helpful, but if not, then you should know that blogging isn’t something you can just jump into.
As with any business endeavor, there are certain skills required in order for it to be successful.
You might need accounting or graphic design experience; if so, make sure you either have those skill sets or hire someone who does.
The last thing you want is for your business venture to go under because of poor organization or shoddy design.
Start by looking at your own skill set—what do you excel at
These are the skill sets you need for succeeding in Blogging Business:
In a nutshell these skills are much needed:
- Content writing/ The Original Blog writing :-content writing is another blogging skill that every blogger must learn- the Blog Writing Skill
- Keyword Research and SEO : SEO is the blogging skill that every blogger must have.
- WordPress and WP theme Installation – Eh! Tech part of Blogging
- Social media skills- Mainly Pinterest Marketing , Facebook and Instagram
- Design skills – In canva or in Photoshop
- Affiliate Marketing
- Your Own Digital products Like Digital Planners, Digital media Kit , eBOOK , Workbook etc
- Marketing your Blogs across the World Wide Web!
- Get the STATS work for you!
1.Blog Writing skill
Blog writng is not easy..In the first place, the individual writing a blog should be able to effectively communicate his or her ideas to others.
They ought to be a good writer. These are the two most important qualities that a blogger should possess, in my opinion.
To be a successful blogger, you’ll need to have the following abilities:
The blogger must have a strong interest in the subject matter and be knowledgeable about it.
Only then would he be able to establish a rapport with the crowd.
The blogger should express his or her feelings on the subject matter in a way that the reader may identify with it as well.
Being a good reader is a prerequisite for each successful blogger.
For this reason, he should read as much as possible about the subject matter so that he may provide the greatest available information to the audience.
He should have outstanding communication skills. Bloggers should be capable of conveying their thoughts and feelings through their writing; otherwise, they are wasting their time.
As a result, the blogger must have a strong command of the English language.
The blogger should consider both the positive and bad elements of the topic.
I think he shouldn’t be based on anything. He’s there to educate the public about the issues at hand and provide them with the necessary knowledge.
Creativity- The blogger should strive to make his or her blogs creative in order to draw the attention of potential readers and grow their following.
Also, he should make an effort to come up with original ideas for Blogs..
When writing for the web, keep the following fundamental guidelines in mind:
- Maintain a conversational tone, as if you were speaking to a close friend.
- Write in the active voice (instead of “They were studying,” write “They studied”).
- Utilize headers and emphasise critical topics using bolding and italics.
- Compose brief small paragraphs
- When feasible, use lists rather than huge wall like paragraphs.
- Be succinct
PRO Tips for being a successful Blogger
- You should love to write
- Good writing skills—proper knowledge of syntax, grammar and sentence formation. The more you write, the more you improve.
- You must read A LOT. To broaden your horizons and knowledge, reading books, blogs or listening to good podcasts is really important since it helps you with ideas
- Ideation- A unique angle or perspective is what makes a blog stand out.
- SEO- Basic knowledge search engine optimisation to make your content appear higher in the search results.
- Market the blog- promote the blog on social media to get visitors and followers
2.Keyword Research and SEO
There are specific things you must do for each post and your website as a whole in order for search engines like Google and Bing to find your blog.
Search engine optimisation (SEO) can help with this.
It’s a good idea to write content that you enjoy, but if you want to make money blogging, you need to make sure that your posts are optimised for search engines.
Never rely only on social media for traffic to your site; SEO is an effective medium-term approach.
You can take it from me, who blogged for over two years without a strategy.
Make sure you avoid making the same mistakes that I did.
In order to get your blog content to show up in search results, follow these simple guidelines:
Using Google’s Keyword Planner*, conduct thorough keyword research for each new post. Look for long-tail keywords with low competition.
To develop blog content that rank well in search, follow these simple steps:
- Utilize Google’s Keyword Planner* to do adequate keyword research for each new article. Choose long-tail keywords with low competition.
- Install the Rankmath SEO Plugin and follow its instructions for optimising each content.
- Acquaint yourself with other ranking indicators and adjust your blog entries accordingly.
- While keywords are an important part of SEO, there are many other factors to consider, such as page load time, internal and external links, and more.
- Take an SEO course before writing any more blog entries if you’re feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information available. If you do, you won’t regret it.
3.Wordpress , WPTheme & Plugins
When beginning a blog, you’re unlikely to require extensive technical knowledge, particularly if you’re using a platform like WordPress.org.
The ability to use WordPress and WP themes to their fullest potential. In order to start a successful blog, you do not need to be a full-fledged WordPress developer or coder.
But you should surely understand the basics of HTML coding, such as picture interlinking, adding alt tags, inserting headlines in h1 or h2 tags, and so on and so forth.
As a sophisticated content creation tool, WordPress requires no prior coding knowledge on the part of the user.
However, learning the fundamentals of web design (the language used to instruct a web browser on how to display a web page) can be helpful as you embark on your new blogging journey.
Also Read: What the heck is WordPress CMS? A beginners Guide
Additionally, you will learn how to instal WordPress themes, plugins, customise themes, upload media, and incorporate SEO.
You don’t want to rely on a developer for every piece of fundamental code, and you may get away without delving into great detail.
If, on the other hand, you want a more organised learning experience, I recommend enrolling in a self-paced learning programme like Treehouse, which teaches you how to code through interactive activities.
4.Pinterest Marketing for Blogging Business
Social media, in all of its incarnations (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat, among others), is effectively free marketing for bloggers, and when used properly, it can be highly effective.
Pinterest is unlike any other social networking site for various reasons:
It is mostly utilised as a search engine rather than a social networking site.
Users of Pinterest are more likely to make purchases than users of other social media networks.
You do not need a big following to generate significant traffic.
Pinterest is a visual discovery network that enables blogs to generate tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of monthly site views.
Yes, Pinterest has ENORMOUS traffic-generating potential, but you have to be careful. Without a strategy, pinning is a definite recipe for frustration.
Implementing these Pinterest best practises from the outset will ensure a successful campaign.
Follow these simple criteria to ensure Pinterest success:
- Create stunning “pinterest-worthy” photos/pics/creatives that are taller than they are broad (1000×1500 Px is fairly standard)
- Utilize stock images if your own photography need improvement.
- Use Canva to Create Creatives
- Utilize descriptive text overlays to persuade visitors to click.
- Refrain from re-pinning spammy links
- Create content specifically for Pinterest–lists and “How To” pieces do very well.
- Utilize a third-party programme such as Tailwind or Boardbooster to automate your pinning.
As with any other social media network, Pinterest is continuously evolving, making your strategy somewhat fluid.
I advocate staying current with developments and absorbing as much information as possible on an ongoing basis.
5.Creating Marketing Creatives in Canva
Create free social media campaigns
If you’re a fresh company just getting started or an established brand trying to strengthen your social media strategy, visual material will assist in establishing your online personality.
Nearly three billion individuals are active social media users across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+. Therefore, how can you use them to your business? The answer is straightforward – by generating appealing social media visuals.
The social media layouts created by Canva are compatible with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram. Access over 100 layouts for free, allowing you to create great images in minutes!
If you’re unfamiliar with affiliate marketing, it refers to the practise of advertising and selling other people’s items in exchange for a commision on each transaction you produce.
Bloggers use trackable links to determine when a customer leaves their site to make a purchase, and the affiliate partner (whether a large brand like Amazon or a fellow blogger selling a digital product) pays them the commision rate specified in the program’s terms–which can range from 4-60 percent.
Affiliate marketing is an excellent option for bloggers of all abilities to generate money and may even be entirely passive once the initial work is completed.
However, it helps to have an audience that respects your opinion enough to purchase the items you recommend, which implies that it may not be in the best interest of a new blogger to advertise affiliate products from the start.
This may come out as desperate or as if you’re simply interested in making money. The most successful bloggers employ this strategy by promoting ONLY items they personally use and can vouch for.
On the other hand, promoting anything and everything is a certain way to swiftly lose your readers’ confidence.
That being said, it never hurts to start learning affiliate marketing tactics early on so that when the time comes to employ affiliate marketing as a monetization strategy, you’ll have a firm handle on the subject.
- Similar to Pinterest, this is one of those things that will NOT function without a well-defined approach.
- Adhere to the following recommendations for affiliate marketing success:
- Enrol in an affiliate marketing school to ensure that you start with the appropriate methods.
- Maintain a focus on your niche–avoid promoting things that make no sense or give no value to your audience.
- Write product or course reviews for those who are on the verge of making a purchase.
- Diversify your product promotion to avoid placing all your Pies in one basket.
7. Creating your own Digital products
I have been selling my own digital product since 2 Years by putting together a compilation of my columns and articles, creating PDF ebooks and Kindle editions, and doing some Online marketing.
Check out my Etsy shop for Digital Planners and MediaKit for Bloggers
However, I didn’t promote it in any way other than by writing about it in my blogs.
As soon as you have at least a few hundred to a thousand followers on social media or an email list, you should see a steady flow of visitors to your website, which means you can devote more time to developing your digital products and obtaining early feedback from your audience.
Here, you begin moving your focus away from guest blogging and back into enhancing your website’s quality and publishing schedule.
Once you’ve built up a following large enough to justify writing more frequently, it’s time to put your efforts into improving your search engine rankings, attracting subscribers, and perhaps pre-selling your online course.
PRO Tips for Creating a Money making Blog
Best Skills You Must Learn to Make Money with Blogging
- Content Writing Skill [Create valuable content for customers]
- KeyWord Research Skill [About Long-tail Keywords/Low Competition Keywords/competitors/Target Audience/
- WordPress [To build your internet hub aka blog]
- Basic Design Skill [knowledge of design tools such as Canva]
- Networking In FB Groups and Linked IN Groups
- Pinterest Marketing
- Email Marketing [Email automation]
- Video Marketing [Webinar, Facebook Live, YouTube]
- SEO Skill – Driving Traffic to website/blog organically without spending money
Bonus Tip: Analytical Skill [Measure and know what is working for You]
Over to me Now!!
Over the last Few years, my blogs has earned me a lot of money.
Due to my revenue reports focusing on my total profits, it can be difficult to track the growth and development of my site over time.
To give you an idea of how much money I’ve made from blogging throughout the years, I’ve put up a short infographic.
With Digitallydiv Approach and other niche sites I’ve run & maintain, I’ve managed to accumulate the following earnings over my career in the digital marketing and Blogging Business.
2016 – 0 $ I just started Blogging the year 2016.
Starting my site in August My first niche site ( I sold the site in 2019 so unable to name it here ), When I started , I Just had an affiliate sale of $5 in December 2016 (Yeah , Thats it!), but I didn’t get paid until June of the following year.
For the year 2017 – 5,690
I quickly made back all of my blog investment, which was a huge source of motivation.
A little email list helped me make $2,000 in sales for my digital products with my first eBook launch.
However, this year, my highest revenue came from affiliate sales.
This year, in addition to working full-time and attending school(MBA) full-time, We also got a cat (which was a Kitten at a time and needed loads of attention).
2018- A total of $25,234 was earned in 2018.
More digital items were launched, including my Pinterest eBook (offered for $10 at the launch) which made me over $1,000 in less than a week of selling it.
I sold the site in December 2019 so I am Unable to name the site a s request from the New owners. And started Digitallydiv Approach in Jan 2020.